Wednesday, 4 June 2014

Beetlejuice Double Page Spread

This is my final design for my double page spread



My double page spread was highly influenced by existing double page spreads from both empire magazine and NME. This is evident in the way I have added a striped pattern down one side which is different from the rest of the main body of my double page spread and also the way I have made my own photographs appear only down one side, also the way I have a big image on one page of my double page spread and another image on the other side. I have also got inspiration from artist and director Tim Burton as he created the film Beetlejuice and created The Sandworm who is featured on the left side of my double page spread.
I created my double page spread by beginning with the headline which i got from an image on google, I saved it then opened it on my blog by drawing a blank box and going to File - Open and then selecting my desired image. I also got an image of the sandworm from Beetlejuice and an image of the popular DVD/ video cover from google, saved it and opened it into InDesign by drawing a blank box and going to File - Open and then I chose my desired image. I then changed the opacity to 60% so that didn't distract from the text but you could still see it. I then placed them on either side of my double page spread. I then added some text by using the text tool. Once I had finished my text I added my own images. I got these image from my own Instagram account, I had taken these when I previously dressed up for a charity day at work. I added these to blog by creating a blank box and then going to File - Open and selecting my image. I then added some speech bubble with quotes in by again using the blank box method. I then created a separate box of text by clicking on the text tool and I then edited the outline to make it match my Beetlejuice theme.
I then added stripes by selecting the line tool,and edited the size and width until I was happy with it. I then copied and pasted it various times to create the stripy Beetlejuice look. I made the lines receive that faded look towards the end by double clicking a line and going to Window - Colour - Gradient and then editing it until I was happy. I decided my own images looked too sharp against the stripes so I opened them into photoshop and then changing the opacity to 60% and then i reopened them again into InDesign.
I could improve this if I was to do it again by adding more of my own photographs and rearranging the design and layout of my double page spread.
I thought my double page spread was relatively successful as it covers all of the basic need a double page spread should cover. The design also links to the topic I am discussing which makes it more professional.
In the future I would approach a project in a similar way I approached this but with more preparation and planning involved.


No comments:

Post a Comment