Wednesday, 23 April 2014

DPS

Double Page Spread Final Idea.


I had a lot of trouble decided what my final idea for my double page spread would be. I had a lot of ideas and deciding upon just one was quite tough.
My first idea was to go with 'The Neverending Story' as it is both my favourite book and favourite film, I have read the book a few times so I know the storyline of the book very well and I know which parts differ from the film. After a I made a few rough copies of how I would lay my double page spread out I decided against this idea as not many people will have read 'The Neverending Story' the book and it is very rarely mentioned in the media today.

My second choice was 'My Mad Fat Diary'. I chose this as it is fresh in the media as the second TV series is almost finished and it proved to be quite popular.I liked this idea as, unlike most TV series, films and books based around mental illness My Mad Fat Diary shines a different type of light on the problems and makes them seem more realistic than they are portrayed in other medias. I thought I could write about this in my double page spread, alongside how it differs from the 'My Mad Fat Diary' book by Rae Earl.
I designed a few ideas for how I could lay this out. I was happy with the way my ideas came out although I decided, once again, against this idea whilst I was creating a draft of what to write for my double page spread.
I decided against this idea as the TV show is very different to the book, each form of media goes into detail about different things than the other. Each one focus's on mental illness in a different way and mental illness is not really something I wish to write about, especially just one person's view of it.

My third and final double page spread idea will be based on the 1988 hit film Beetlejuice consisting of an all star cast: Michael Keaton, Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, Catherine O'Hara, Jeffrey Jones and Winona Ryder. It will also give pros and cons regarding rumours of the making of a 'Beetlejuice 2'.

Beetlejuice was a huge success filming with a budget of $15 million, it was released theatrically in the US on April 1st 1988. It earned $8,030,897 in it's opening and eventually grossed $73,707,461 in North America making it the 10th-highest grossing film of 1988.
The main plot of the story follows a newly deceased couple, Barbara and Adam Maitland, who realise they cannot leave their home, things go from bad to worse when they're home is then sold to a family of three, Charles Deetz, a former real estate developer; his second wife Delia Deetz, an aspiring sculptor; and his goth daughter Lydia Deetz from his first marriage. After receiving no help from their afterlife caseworker Juno when she tells them they have to stay in their house for 125 years they decide to scare the new residents away themselves which proves ineffective. It becomes clear that Charles and Delia can't see the ghosts of Adam and Barbara although their daughter Lydia can and she befriends them.
The Maitlands then try to contact a freelance "bio-exorcist" ghost called Beetlejuice, to scare away the Deetzes. They realise how much trouble he causes and reconsider hiring him however they discover it's too late and he begins to wreak havoc in the Deetzes house. The supernatural happenings inspire Charles Deetz to pitch the idea of turning the house to a tourist hot spot to his boss Maxie Dean but he wants proof of the ghosts. They begin a séance to summon Adam and Barbara, but they begin to decay, having unwittingly performed an exorcism. Lydia tries to get Beetlejuice to help and agrees to marry him in exchange. Beetlejuice begins planning the wedding, but the Maitlands intervene, Barbara riding in on a Sandworm, who devoures Beetlejuice, before the ceremony is complete. The Maitlands and Deetzes decide with proceed living in the same house all together.


I chose to write about this film as it is personally one of my favourites and I know many other people who think it is still as amazing now as it was a quarter of a century ago. Also rumours have just begun circulating that there will be another second film following Beetlejuice so i thought it would appropriate to base my double page spread about something that is happening in the media right now.

I will create my review by having the title in the centre overlapping the two pages, the style of my title will be the original Beetlejuice logo and i will add the number 2 with a question mark to show that right now the making of a second Beetlejuice is a rumour. I will also show a picture of the sandworm as that is a key character in Beetlejuice it will be behind the text and slightly transparent so as not to distract too much from the text.










I have used some facts and figures found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beetlejuice


No comments:

Post a Comment